To the surprise of absolutely no one, it seems that there were warning signs known to the police about Caleb Vazquez, one of the killers in the San Diego mosque shooting. From London’s left-wing The Guardian:
One of shooters in deadly attack at San Diego mosque was previously flagged by FBI
Officials seized guns from Caleb Vazquez’s father last year amid alarm over teen’s views on mass shooters and Nazism
by José Olivares | Friday, May 22, 2026 | 12:45 PM EDT
One of the two white supremacist shooters who attacked a mosque in California on Monday and killed three people had already been on law enforcement officials’ radar, according to US media reports.
Local officials were so alarmed by Caleb Vazquez’s idolization of mass shooters and Nazism that they seized his father’s guns a year before the shooting, the New York Times reports. Similarly, Bloomberg reports that Vazquez had already been flagged by the FBI as a “potential threat” last year.
Eighteen-year-old Vazquez and his friend, Cain Clark, 17, attacked the Islamic Center of San Diego earlier this week and killed three men, including a security guard who exchanged gunfire with the attackers and prevented them from reaching 140 schoolchildren. The two shooters then died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds in their getaway car.
Further down:
Vazquez was already on law enforcement’s radar, after someone flagged to officials troubling social media posts. In a protective order last year, a police officer wrote that Vazquez was involved in “suspicious behavior” that idolized Nazis and mass shooters, prompting officials to seize Vazquez’s father’s guns. Vazquez had also been placed in an involuntary psychiatric hold, the Times reported.
Vazquez’s father and his wife had 26 guns, including pistols, rifles and shotguns in their home. The father wrote in an affidavit that he had voluntarily put the weapons in a storage facility because of concerns about his son. The court ordered him to voluntarily turn over his guns to officials.
So, law enforcement knew about young Mr Vasquez at least, though there are still no reports that I have seen indicating either of the two shooters had previous criminal records. The New York Post reported that Mr Vazquez had:
walked away from a mental health facility the day before carrying out Monday’s deadly attack, sources said.
Caleb Vazquez, 18, left the Park Mental Health Treatment Center the morning before killing three people at an Islamic center with 17-year-old Cain Clark, law enforcement sources told The Post.
So, the police knew about Mr Vazquez, and the family’s firearms were taken away, and he had been receiving some apparently-not-very-effective mental health treatment, yet he still went on a killing spree. Why, it’s almost as though the policies that the left advocate didn’t work in this case.
Mr Vazquez was reported to be somewhere on the autism spectrum, though that term is so over-diagnosed and overused as to make it practically meaningless.
Messrs Clark and Vazquez had apparently been interested in radical videos, so watch for our good friends on the left want to censor our freedom of speech and of the press because a few nutbags might be radicalized. After all, they tried it before, during Joe Biden’s four unfortunate years! The New Republic blamed Kamala Harris Emhoff’s election loss on freedom of speech, and we have reported many times on now thankfully former President Biden’s attempt to create a Ministry of Truth under the Department of Fatherland Security, called the “Disinformation Governance Board”, and how we were fortunate that it failed. The left were aghast when Elon Musk was trying to buy Twitter, because they were afraid that conservatives might use Twitter more successfully, and the very lovely Taylor Lorenz, who wants to force us all to wear face masks forever, blamed the failure of that Board on “right-wing attacks.” My good friend — we’re such good friends that she has blocked me on Bluesky — Amanda Marcotte, who exercises her own freedom of speech and of the press on Salon, wanted the government to take over Twitter while The Philadelphia Inquirer’s far-left columnist Will Bunch suggested it “should exist more as a semi-public utility than as an entity that a man with a spare $44 billion can just light on fire.”
So, I’m waiting on yet another attack by the left to censor things that don’t like. To have a free society is to assume greater risks for that freedom. People could, after all, be far safer from crime, from revolutionaries, from all sorts of things in places like China or North Korea.
__________________________________
Follow me on Twitter! Check out my website, The First Street Journal, for stories not on American Free News network.
_________________________________
If you enjoyed this article, then please REPOST or SHARE with others; encourage them to follow AFNN. If you’d like to become a citizen contributor for AFNN, contact us at managingeditor@afnn.us Help keep us ad-free by donating here.
_________________________________
Substack: American Free News Network Substack
Truth Social: @AFNN_USA
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/afnnusa
Telegram: https://t.me/joinchat/2_-GAzcXmIRjODNh
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AfnnUsa
GETTR: https://gettr.com/user/AFNN_USA
CloutHub: @AFNN_USA